How WhyTry Helps School Counselors Foster Emotional Wellness and Resilience in Students
A flexible toolkit for school counselors
Are you a school counselor looking for a way to help your students develop resilience? WhyTry is an evidence-based program that provides school counselors with the tools and resources to teach students the skills they need to be successful in school and life.
WhyTry is a comprehensive program that includes:
- Engaging lessons that are designed to capture students’ attention and keep them engaged.
- Hands-on activities that help students learn the skills in a practical way.
- Strategies for building relationships with students and motivating them to learn.
- Training on how to deliver the program effectively.
Through motivating and engaging activities and lessons, students gain skills to support emotional health and wellness.
An evidence based approach
The WhyTry program is based on the latest research on resilience. It teaches students the essential skills they need to be resilient, including:
- Emotional regulation and self-management
- Fostering a resilient mindset
- Positive self-esteem
- Hard work and determination
How school counselors use WhyTry
WhyTry can be used by school counselors in a variety of ways, including:
- As a guidance curriculum to teach all students the skills they need to be resilient.
- As a responsive tool to help individual students struggling with behavior challenges.
- As part of a school-wide MTSS initiative to improve student outcomes.
WhyTry and the ASCA National Model
The ASCA National Model is a framework for school counseling programs that emphasizes the importance of prevention, intervention, and advocacy. WhyTry is aligned with the ASCA National Model in several ways:
- WhyTry is a prevention-focused program that teaches students the skills they need to be resilient and succeed in school.
- WhyTry can be used as a responsive tool to help individual students who are struggling with behavior challenges.
- WhyTry provides school counselors with the training and resources they need to follow The WhyTry Approach and become effective facilitators.
“When you can see the purpose of each WhyTry lesson and use the attention grabbers, music, and metaphors to reach the kids with targeted interventions, WhyTry can help you achieve your goals. We saw a significant decrease in the number of referrals.”
“I have to say, the hands-on activities were perfect in portraying the message, and we had so many great discussions as a result. In fact, we saw a measurable change with our group. Our students made much better decisions going forward.”
I’m a teacher at heart, and having WhyTry in my toolkit gives me the flexibility to introduce main parts of the program in my guidance classes, and then I can pull in more content as the kids progress through different grades. It works seamlessly for me.”
How to get started
If you’re interested in learning more about WhyTry, please contact us today to schedule a demo. We’d be happy to show you how the program can help you teach your students the skills they need to be resilient.
Why Choose The WhyTry Program?
With over 20 years of success, we understand the challenges teachers and counselors face. We have practical interventions and strategies that work.
Our toolkit gets students excited about learning and improves behavior. Teachers and counselors who use WhyTry often say they rediscover the joy of education!
Our approach provides a common language and framework for staff and administrators, enabling your entire team to collaborate and communicate better.
Additional Information About WhyTry
The WhyTry program is available for grades K-12.
The WhyTry program is designed for use by school counselors.
The WhyTry program is based on the latest research on resilience.
The WhyTry program has been proven to be effective in helping students develop resilience.
WhyTry is aligned with the ASCA National Model for school counseling.
In addition to the above, WhyTry also offers the following:
- Training on building relationships with disconnected students
- Delivering lessons that spark self-determination
- Fostering a growth mindset and resilience
These boost participation and help students see the relevance and the “why” of education.
WhyTry also offers free SEL resources like webinars, podcasts, and our Parent Guide to Resilience.
We are committed to collaborating with school counselors to motivate students and build resilience.
Schedule a demo to learn more about our evidence-based curriculum and training.